WHY SHOULD WE SAVE?
Let me rephrase the question “why should I save?” You should ask yourself this.
The importance of saving cannot be disputed.
One of the basic pieces of financial advice is saving. It is a habit everyone must adopt.
I won’t dispute the fact that saving is not an easy thing to do but you just have to learn it because it gives us several benefits throughout our lives.
What is saving?
Saving is the money set aside for future use. It can also be defined as consuming less today so that you can consume more in the future.
George Choy said, “To become rich you must value savings more than spending”. You need to spend less and save more. This doesn’t mean you won’t spend but be frugal in your spending.
A wise man saves for the rainy day while a fool eats up what he has. Let’s take a lesson from the ants, yes those tiny insects. You see how they move around looking for food keeps for the rainy season. The Bible passage according to Proverbs 6:6-8 says; take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and become wise! Though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter.
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD SAVE
- To live a life free from debt; Saving is a skill you’ve got to learn and one of the reasons to learn this skill is to be free from debt. No one would want to be in debt, cause debt can lead to restlessness and have a bad effect on your health. People who spend beyond their means are always in debt, so to avoid being in debt you’ve got to save money to make sure you spend on what you can afford.
- To be financially independent; Saving helps us gain financial freedom, you don’t have to depend on your family or your monthly income to live the lifestyle you want. You don’t have to worry about the decisions you make whether it’s quitting your current job to start a business, planning a vacation, or getting married.
- Retirement; You need to save to acquire enough funds to enjoy life after retirement. Just imagine working for years and there’s nothing to show for it, how would you survive? Most people save to retire early and enjoy life.
- Investment; You should not save to spend the money later on something you won’t enjoy the benefits for long. Save money to invest in long-term plans that would bring high returns. It’s all about making your money work for you.
Now that you’ve seen the reasons why you need to save, let’s talk about how you can start saving to achieve your financial goals.
- You need to have a budget and stick to it
- Cut down your expenses.
- Try to avoid debts
There is a saying ” A little drop of water makes a mighty ocean”. Start saving today no matter how little it is, you would surely enjoy its benefits one day.
My dear friends let’s save.