IT’S SPICY JOLLOF WEEKEND
Jollof rice is a dish not only popular in Nigeria but several other West African countries. It’s the highlight of every party. One of the reasons I go to parties is to have a taste of the delicious party jollof rice. It tastes lovely.
You don’t have to go to any party to get that spicy smoky Jollof rice. Follow these steps to give your family, friends and loved ones a spicy Jollof rice treat this weekend.
- Onions bulbs
- Fresh peppers (Tatashe)
- Fresh tomatoes
- Garlic cloves
- Chilli bell pepper
- Tomato paste
- Curry powder
- Bay leaves
- Seasoning cubes
- Grounded pepper
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Place the chicken into a pot and add some chopped onions, curry powder, seasoning cubes, salt and some garlic powder. Mix thoroughly. You don’t add water because you want the chicken to give out some juice and then cover the pot and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes. This method helps to intensify the flavor and taste of the chicken.
- After 15 minutes, add enough water. Don’t add too much water so it won’t be watery and you need your stock to be concentrated. Leave it to cook until it’s softened.
- Blend the tomatoes, pepper, onions, ginger and garlic. Cut the tomatoes, pepper and onions before you blend them.
- Place a pot on medium heat and pour the vegetable oil into it. Allow it to heat up then add the chopped onions. Sàuté for 1-2 mins or till when it’s translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 5-8 minutes. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Pour the tomato and pepper blend into the pot. Stir and allow it to cook for 5-10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, thyme, curry powder, seasoning cubes, grounded pepper and nutmeg. Stir and add salt to taste.
- Add the washed rice to the content in the pot. Stir till the rice is covered with the sauce. Pour a little amount of water and cover the pot with foil paper and place the lid of the pot on top of it.
P.S: use the dull part of the foil to cover the pot.
- Add the bay leaves. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
To give it that smoky taste like party jollof rice. Increase the heat and allow it to burn.
Enjoy your meal with your loved ones.