Tarte au poulet
Tarte au poulet, what does this mean? This is the question that first came to your mind when you saw this article, you will get to know the meaning soon.
The weekend we’ve been expecting is finally here some call it the GBEDU weekend i.e. enjoyment time, it won’t be bad if we decide to go shake off the stress of the week by relaxing and enjoying ourselves with ‘Tarte au poulet’ known as CHICKEN PIE.
How can you enjoy yourself with chicken pie? Keep reading this article to know.
Chicken pie is a snack we’ve heard of and do love to eat, the difference between the Nigerian chicken pie pastry and that of meat pie is the stuffing. The Nigerian chicken pie is stuffed with minced chicken (Ground chicken), potatoes, and carrots.
One of the ingredients used is Chicken which is the common type of poultry in the world compared to other animals like cattle and hogs. It is said to be healthier than red meat with a lower concentration of cholesterol and saturated fat which makes it healthy for consumption.
Chicken is a source of high-quality dietary protein that helps in building the muscles, strengthens bone, aids weight loss, etc. So chicken is healthy for consumption.
- Baking powder
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil
- Ground chicken
- Onions (Diced)
- Black pepper
- Seasoning cubes
- Curry powder
- Diced potatoes
- Diced carrots
- Chili powder
A combination of butter and margarine is used for the pie pastry, this is because margarine is really oily so the butter is used to decrease the tendency of the pie being oily and also help to yield a more delicious tasting pie.
For the chicken pie pastry;
- In a bowl mix the margarine, butter, and flour with your hands until they become crumbly.
- At subsequent times add water until a slightly stiff but workable dough is formed.
- Knead the dough.
- Cover the dough and place it in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes.
- Before you take the dough out of the fridge make sure you preheat your oven.
For the filling;
- In a cooking pan preheat the oil, add the diced onions and sauté constantly stirring it over medium heat until it becomes translucent.
- Add the Ground chicken (minced chicken) and cook.
- After the minced chicken has been cooked, add the black pepper, curry powder, seasoning cubes, chili powder, and salt to taste and also add the diced carrots, potatoes and leave to cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Mix the flour and water properly until it’s no longer lumpy.
- Pour the mixed flour and water over the chicken pie filling and allow to simmer for about a minute.
Baking the chicken pie;
- Rub the baking pan with some margarine.
- Remove the pastry dough from the fridge and place it on a floured surface and roll out to your desired thickness.
- Cut out the pastry into triangles of your desired size.
- Fill the pastry with the chicken pie filling.
- Break open an egg and whisk, brush the edges of the pie pastry with the whisked egg, fold the dough over to close it up, and trim the edges with a fork.
- Brush the surface of the chicken pie with the whisked egg.
- Place the pie inside the preheated oven and bake till golden brown.
At last, you have your delicious chicken pie ready.