WHY PIG FARMING?
Pork is the most commonly consumed red meat worldwide, especially in eastern Asia and Africa with Ghana and Nigeria alone consuming over $3billion worth of pork yearly; 75% of which are imported. This gap creates an avenue for a profitable pork investment.
Pork investment brings a profitable return as a matured female pig can reproduce twice in a year with litters between 8 – 12 piglets or more at a time.
Against the popular belief that pigs are dirty animals, if given sufficient space, they will be careful not to soil the area where they sleep or eat.
Pigs don’t sweat and that’s why they like to bathe in water to keep cool. A good maintenance culture of their pens and adequate provision of a healthy diet will keep them healthy and disease free.
Lean pork can be an excellent addition to a healthy diet as it is a rich source of many vitamins and minerals including; Thiamine, Selenium, Zinc, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Phosphorus, Iron.
Also, pork as a meat source has tremendous health benefits:
1) Pork helps in the production of red blood cells in the body.
2) Vitamin B1 which is in high quality in pork is vital for growth and repair of muscles and nerve tissues.
3) It contain Riboflavin which helps in maintaining skin and health problems. It repairs damaged tissues and extracts energy from food.
4) Vitamin B6 present in pork meat helps in metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates and keeps proper functioning of the nervous system..
5) Iron in pork enhances production of energy and iron from meat is easily absorbed by the body.
6) The meat helps keep bones in good shape and builds strong bones, teeth and keeps a check on the body energy levels.
7) Zinc present in pork boosts the immune system and improves body resistance against numerous diseases.
8) Pork is a good source of protein and amino acids as is vital for people interested in body building.
9) It is good for skin, eyes, nervous system, bones and mental performance.
10) Pork consumption also ensures better immunity to body due to presence of essential antioxidant.